Saturday, November 24, 2007

String Pieced Top Finished

I *love* this quilt! I just finished the top and have it tacked down and ready to begin quilting or tieing, I'm not sure yet what I will do. I cannot machine quilt yet and I'm afraid to try and hand quilt it... I don't have the confidence yet. I'm thinking of tieing it with invisible thread and then hiding the ends on the inside.

It was pieced onto a muslin foundation and the backing is another satin fabric that a co-worker, Shu Yi, brought me from China. I wasn't going to add batting because of the muslin foundation, but I realized that the borders wouldn't have any thing in between them and the backing, so I added the batting anyway. It should make for a fairly heavy small quilt. The borders are a black fabric with gold roses. My husband wrinkled his nose at me when I told him I was going to use it but now he agrees that it was the right fit. Funny enough, I used this fabric for the lining of a tote that I made for Shu Yi last year.

I'm thrilled with this quilt and I just can't even believe how fancy it looks. Now I'm not afraid of the satin type fabrics I ooh and ahh over. I have a place for them now and they better watch out! (click picture for details).

No comments: