Thursday, November 8, 2007

Kaylee's New Quilt (Finally!)


On Monday night my daughter was trying to find something that started with the letter Q or R for sharing day at school. She walked through the house sounding it out and said, "Qu-Qu-Quilt! I can take a quilt to school!"

Right away I was feeling guilty for not having finished her quilt from a year ago. I had been putting it off because I wasn't working from a pattern, a year ago I wasn't cutting so carefully, and the whole top was just a little off. I had basted it a couple of times with the pieced backing I made but always ended up taking it apart because I was just too afraid that there would be puckers if I quilted it.


I decided I had waited long enough and at 7pm started on finishing her quilt. After basting, tieing (to resolve the feared puckering problem), and trimming the edges it was finally ready for binding. I made my own binding and hand sewed it on. Finally at 1:30am I was finished and just SO happy that it was done. It was so much easier than I had imagined it to be!

In the morning my daughter was very happy to have it and as we were driving to school she said, "I bet I'm the only one that will be sharing a quilt today!" She was proud to show it, and I was happy that she was showing her class the quilt her mama made for her.


After a year and a half in the making, I can check this UFO off my list.

And there's just something so appealing to me about a folded quilt.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think Kaylee looks very pleased with her quilt. I read your post on about.com about her taking it to school - cute story. Karen