Sunday, December 23, 2007

Turtle! Turtle!

This turtle is a version of my heating pad cozies. It's not quite right yet but it works. Initially I had made one out of muslin and simply traced the shell design (and terrible face). Then I made this colorful one and appliquéd the shell design on. I had thought I would just sort of tack the shell on along the sides, but I couldn't get it to lay right. I've got to work with the stuffing to get the right amount so it's stiff but pliable. Because I couldn't get it to tack down well and still look good, I decided to just sew the shell onto the body all the way around.

The legs and tail are just right, but I'm still having trouble getting the head to be where I want it. It's supposed to be closer to the body, but when it comes time to sew it on there is so much bulk around my sewing foot that it inevitably scooches out and ends up being too far out, making it a little more floppy than I had hoped.

For this one I just sewed on some little white rosettes for eyes, but I also have some buttons that look like eyes that I'll use on the real thing.

It will take a few more tries before I get it just right.... although, I am supposed to have a finished product ready by Wednesday for a co-worker. I'm a little nervous to cut into the fabric he chose... I just hope that it turns out alright. *crossing my fingers!!*

It isn't meant to stand up, but I thought it was nifty that it does. There is a pocket on the belly that holds a rice filled heating pad. The turtle is completely machine washable too, which is the big plus. It sure would be easier to make a simpler version that is "stuffed" with the rice, but you can't wash it. This is much better. :)

******************************************************************
Prototype #2: Modeled by Isabella

*******************************************************************

Prototype #1: The Muslin Turtle



*************************************************************************
Warning!
The following photo may be unsuitable for younger viewers.
Viewer discretion is advised.









**TURTLE TORTURE**



**Just kidding, no turtles were harmed in the making of this cozy**

No comments: