Friday, December 7, 2007

Quilted Cozies

I've always enjoyed making microwavable heating pads with a rice filling. They are sooo cozy and being reusable without having to worry about unplugging or turning something off makes them so convenient. I used to make them in just a plain fabric pouch, no cover.. but realized that they get dirty and aren't washable.

I wanted to see what a quilted cover would look like so I made a type of pillowcase pouch and quilted with some decorative stitching. It fits a rice pad inside made from muslin. The rice pad can be taken out and the cover is completely machine washable. I want to find a good way to close the cover but for now it's just open, but the rice pad doesn't fall out. I am thinking of using very flat buttons with tab closures or a zipper, but I want to make sure that it's not uncomfortable if you're laying on it. For now, the pillowcase idea works great.

The one shown here is the medium size, 10''x10''. It is unscented but I have made some with lavender buds as well. I plan on getting some essential oils and such to make some true aromatherapy heating pads. I have made these with half rice and half flax seed. The rice holds the heat very well and the flax seed provides the softness and flexibility to make the perfect cozy heating pad.

I'm calling them Quilted Cozies. I plan on selling them as I've already had some interest in them. :)


No comments: