Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The road less traveled by...

100% cotton is my friend. It's easy to work with, makes nice sharp creases, and just does what it's told. It doesn't really stretch, it doesn't slide, and it doesn't misbehave.

Unfortunately, it's other types of fabrics that seem to call my name.

I decided to re-do the tote that I had switched the measurements around on before. I had wanted to make something that was out of a fashion fabric instead of a quilting fabric and it was equally rewarding as it was challenging. I've had it in my closet for so long, never having the nerve to cut into it. I bring it out from time to time to touch it and think of all the things I could do with it. But then it laughs at me and I get intimidated by it and put it away. It's thin, slippery, and a bit stretchy. It's very hard to cut or iron straight. It's flowy and soft... wait... someone please tell me why I chose this fabric???

Um, hello? Because it's gorgeous! :)

I used the free Pink October pattern from www.mamaspocketbook.com. I omitted the pocket (i was afraid it would take away from the fabric, but I'm wishing I had left it) and I added a magnetic snap closure (my first try!). It has an interfaced lining and I also adhered a stiff felt-type interfacing to the outer fabric to give it some body. The handles were quite a challenge. I also put the felt stuff in the middle of the handles but getting them straight and even wasn't easy. At any rate, I am proud of myself for standing up to the challenge and breaking out of my comfort zone. It was worth it.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference"

...Robert Frost



No comments: