Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Special Order Tote

I suppose lately I've been doing much more sewing than quilting. I gave the "Fancy Schmancy Totey-Bag" to a co-worker who oooh'd and aaahh'd over it. She has been so happy with it that she called me this morning to ask me to make a bag for her mother. On my way home from work I stopped at the fabric store and picked up some 50% off poinsettia fabric and some heavy interfacing. She requested that it be a little taller and a little wider than the bag she has (naturally) so I took a good while trying to decide what size to make it. I settled on 16 wide x 18 high pieces (before sewing) with 2 1/2" boxed corners. I had made the handle waaaaay too long and had to take it apart to fix it cutting out 16 inches of handle... lol yeah I guess I went a little overkill to begin with.

I used a medium weight interfacing which makes it pretty durable. I didn't interface the handles, but I am wishing I had, they are a little twisty when it's in my hands. Oh well, live and lern. I mean learn. ;) I topstitched around the bottom to give it more standing power. I chose to leave the sides alone, I like the half-tote-half-grocery-bag look it has.

Here it is in all it's poinsettia glory. I really like it, it's a good size for a shopping tote.

2 comments:

Monica... That One Girl said...

It's beautiful, Lisa! Your ability to carry out the visions you have pretty much amaze me. I have ideas, but put me in front of a sewing machine and my eyes glaze over and I start drooling. Sad. I might have to get one of those bags from you, after the holidays. Now that I live in Arcata, walking distance from everywhere I want to run errands, that'd be a perfect mode of transportation for my goodies. :-)

~Monica~
Gabe's friend

Lisa said...

Thanks Monica! I really appreciate the compliments. Gabe showed me your earrings and I love the pink argyle. If I wore earrings I'd definitely need them. :)

Let me know if you decide you need a bag, perhaps I can make one of your ideas work.