Saturday, February 16, 2008

My Little 30s Quilt

Last night at Scottie Dogs' Girls Night Out I was talking with Denise about my fear of machine quilting and I appreciated her encouragement. She told me that it doesn't really matter, just do it. It helped me to realize that it's more important to at least try - and let the experience teach you - instead of never trying at all. Thanks Denise. :)

I wasn't planning on going to GNO but at the lasts minute decided I really wanted to. I didn't have a project ready to work on so I grabbed some little 30s prints 3-inch charm squares and just sewed them together. Tonight I added some borders, spray basted it, and machine quilted it! I've done a little machine quilting before, but never going over my own lines because I was too afraid of the dreadful puckers. This time I took Denise's advice and did it anyway. I stitched in the ditch along the seams and did a free zig zag in the borders. I didn't look at the back the whole time. When it was all done I was ready to see how awful the back looked. So I closed my eyes, turned it over.....peeked.... and to my surprise there were NO PUCKERS! Not one single nasty pucker.

So thank you Denise for giving me the push to stop worrying. I know there will be puckers in the future, but I will not let them stop me. :)

Here's the quilt.. I still need to add the binding. (Of course, Tinkers is already sniffing it...)




3 comments:

JenniferSaake.blogspot.com said...

You do such beautiful work, Lisa. :)

Quilting For Less said...

Great colors and beautiful quilting! Thanks for letting me stop by your blog!

Susan

BrendaLou said...

I'm so proud of you! Your little quits is so very cute!