Monday, August 18, 2008

Birthday Block Swap

I joined the "Birthday Block" swap on About.com. I signed up into a group with 23 other swappers. Everyone is assigned a "birthday" month (may or may not correspond with their actual birthday). They list their preferences for what they want and then when their month comes they receive blocks from the rest of the swappers. For example...

My month is March and I chose Hawaii as a theme. Make any block that reminds you of Hawaii. When my month comes around, the other 23 swappers will each make a block for me. It's a really neat way to get blocks of all different techniques, talents, and fabrics. Then in turn I make blocks for everyone during the year. Each month I only have to make two blocks and that's it! I'm probably not doing a very good job at explaining it so if you're confused then I apologize. You'll probably figure it out as I post the blocks I've made each month.

July was assigned to Christine and Diane. Christine asked for garden themed blocks, flower or vegetable. I made a little tomato block with machine applique. Diane asked for 12'' star blocks with blue and white fabrics. The block is called Amish Star (from Quilter's Cache) but I made a mistake when sewing the corners on and got a different design. I was a little bummed, but by the time I was finished with it I wasn't up to taking it apart.

So far the swap is a lot of fun. It's really not so bad to make just two blocks a month. I've got to get cracking on August's blocks and I'll post soon. I'm also finishing up an apron for an apron swap I joined. Expect pics from all of these swaps soon!

1 comment:

BrendaLou said...

What fun! I'd be happy to have either of those blocks! When is your Birthday month going to be? March? It was great to see you tonight at the store.