Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

I know that a lot of recipes claim to be the best, but in all honesty, this is THE best chocolate chip cookie recipe I've ever tried. Everyone that has tried them agree (except for the time that I accidentally doubled the chips!).

I like my cookies just like the what I call, "Fake-Bake" cookies from Toll House. You know the kind, just break them apart, stick em on a sheet and voila! 10 minutes later you have cookies. One could say that I could just go the easy route and make those, but for the sake of actually baking something and sharing that fun with the kids, here's the perfect recipe to do just that.

These cookies come out thin, chewy in the center, and just a bit crispy around the edges. Oh, and they don't call for eggs but they do call for a lot of butter so I'm not claiming they are healthy by any means. If you're a vegetarian, however, these are the cookies just for you.


Thin, Crisp, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup salted butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
6 Tbs water (Yes, water. Don't leave it out!)
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. With an electric mixer combine butter, brown sugar, and sugar until well blended. Add water and the vanilla until smooth.
2. In another bowl, mix flower, baking soda, and salt. Beat into butter mixture until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Drop dough in 1-tbs portions, 2 inches apart, onto buttered baking sheets.
4. Bake in a 300 degree oven until edges of cookies are browned, but an area about 1 inch wide in the center is still pale, about 14 minutes.
5. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool. If hot cookies start to break, slide a thin spatula under them to release, let stand on pan to firm up, 2 to 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
6. Makes about.... well I don't know how many it makes because my family always eats them as I take them out of the oven! But it seems like I put about five batches in, so maybe about 60 cookies. Of course you can cut this recipe in half, but I always make a lot and take them to work or give some to friends.


You want to take them out of the oven when they look like this... because if you leave them in until they look done then they will be way too crunchy when they cool. Yes they will look gooey when you take them out, but trust me, fifteen minutes later they are perfect.

I hope you try the recipe. I can't remember where I found it but kudos to whomever posted it. It really is the best.

Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Yeah, blogger is working again!

I will try these later tonight! :-)

Anonymous said...

Lisa---I made these for my hubby. Mr Scottie Dog says yum yum